Sunday, May 28, 2023

More Matches - Part 4

 So when we last left our hero, Max the fighter, he lost his first match in a painful first round KO. Now let's see if his luck can improve.

My plan for this session was simple. After randomly generating fighters, I'd run the matches, taking pictures as I rolled. At the end of the match, I'd write down the results. Then, after about a month of fights, I'd go back to the pictures and try to remember what happened, filling in the blanks as creativity as I could.

Only one problem.

After finishing all the matches, I learned a rather important lesson. You see, when you hover your phone above what you want to take a picture of, you have to actually Press The Button, well,  Every Single Time! (Face Palm).

So anyway, I'll do my best to cover the results based on what I wrote down. I'm considering his previous match to be #1.

2. Rep 3 opponent: Win by TKO (2nd rd).

3. Rep 3: Win by TKO (1st rd).

4. Rep 3: Loss by Split Decision.


Now a brief (sorry) recap of what happened.

Matches consist of 3 tables. After winning on the Fight table, the aggressor rolls on the KO table. Passing 2d6 means a knockdown and the opponent goes to the Recovery table. Passing 0d6 results in returning to the Fight table. And Passing 1d6 results in a reroll. Getting Pass 1d6 again is treated as Pass 0d6. I might adjust this to where it's treated as Pass 2d6 if you already scored at leas 1 knockdown, but for now, I'm trying to keep it simple.

For the Recovery table, Pass 2d6 means you stand up, but with a -1 to Rep. Pass 0d6 means a KO. Pass 1d6 is a reroll, but getting it twice means a TKO.

Matches are 3 rounds (6 for major fights). At the end, I check for a decision. However, since these are small-time fights, there are no 3 judge, 10 point systems. Instead, the crowd decides. By THW rules, I'd roll 1d6 for each and add 1 for each knockdown, with ties going to the Favorite (chosen at random before the match). Using Mythic rules, I treat is as a Fate Question, "Did I win?" I'd then adjust the odds depending on the number of knockdowns. The more times you send your opponent to the mat, the greater your chance of winning.

After the last match, I rolled that the month had ended. Unfortunately, I ended up with 3 Inc d6 and 3 dec d6. Since they all cancel out, my character does not roll to improve. But on the plus side, he doesn't  weaken either.


But that's no fun - let's do 1 more match!


I decided to start the new month checking for a Confrontation.

(Q) "Does Max get into a Confrontation?" (Likely) - Yes

After resting for a couple of days, Max got restless and went for a jog. He was just rounding a corner and entering a courtyard when - 

"What have we got here?"

I roll Rep 4. This guy's going to be a challenge. 

Before rolling for Attributes though, I want to know a little more about him. Pulling out One Page Mythic, I roll twice on the Descriptions table and get "Powerful," and "Perfect." Uh Oh.

Standing before Max was a tall and muscular man, clean cut and dressed in bright shiny work-out gear. "Tanner Smith could use a dummy to knock down before his first match," he said, feet spread part and with his fists against his hips.

So, Tanner, who apparently likes to talk about himself in the third person, thinks Max is a tomato to slap around. Let's check out his Attributes.

Here's a pic of the confrontation, using a Battle board from THW, and with green dice for Max, red for Tanner, and white for any bystanders.



Now I borrowed Attributes from Friday Night Fights and other THW titles, with a few tweaks. Nearly every Attribute provides either a +1d6 or a -1 to Rep. Once again, something nice and simple. So rolling for Tanner, I get:

Slow (penalty on Fight table), Bleeder (Penalty on Recovery table).

This doesn't seem right. He's described as Powerful and Perfect. Heck, I even presented him as such. Maybe a Fate Q can help.

(Q)  Were Tanner Smith's descriptions merely a facade? (50/50 because I have no idea) (Also, if I get No, I'm rerolling 1 Attribute. If I get X-No, I'm rerolling both): Yes.

So, Tanner is all talk. Works for me.

The two circled each other, with Tanner raising his fists to chest level  and sliding one foot forward at a time. "Tanner is a methodical gladiator," he said. "He'll take you down, piece by piece."

 First roll on the Fight table: Pass 1d6 more. Max is In Control. Second roll, however is both Passing 1d6. 

Max slammed his fist right between the other man's eyes. Lunging forward, he grappled Max and tied him up. 

(Q)  "Does the fight get broken up?  (Very Unlikely) - Yes

Several men jumped in, separating the two. Surrounding Tanner sSmith, they led him away. "You got lucky this time, punk," the opponent said, "but Tanner will get you next time."

Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder . . . 

(Q) "Does Tanner want a match with Max?" (Likely, I mean why not, right?): X-No

"Anytime!" Max called out to him. "See you in the ring."

"Oh no," Tanner replied. "Tanner only fights those worthy of his time, and you haven't proven yourself yet." He disappeared, along with his apparent entourage.

Since this brawl didn't end in an X-No, Max doesn't gain a Dec d6. Since this is the first encounter of the month, it doesn't end yet, so hopefully, Max will have better luck in the near future.

Until next time . . . 

1 comment: