Wednesday, May 24, 2023

The Consequences - Part 2 of Mythic and THW mixed game

We where left off, Max and his new 'friend' were arrested by the constable for brawling. However, on the island of Rott, fines and community service are favored over imprisonment. The question is, in what form will this take place.

I'm using this session to explore rules for improving my character. THW uses Increasing and Decreasing d6 for characters to receiving when things go well or badly. These can represent everything from currency to experience. At the end of a game month, you'd roll them all. If even 1d6 is higher than your Rep, you improve. But if 1 of your Dec d6 is a 1, you lose a point of Rep.

The question is, what makes a game month? In THW games, this is usually after 4 Encounters. However, since I'm running games with shorter or longer Encounters, that may not work well, especially if an Encounter is only a few rolls long. 

That's where Mythic comes in. Mythic Magazine #2 has Location Crafter rules for exploring different places. Each time you visit part of a location, you roll, with each roll possibly resulting in your clearing the end of a location. 

I'm going to use a streamlined version of this for the moment and maybe use the full version later. Basically, at the end of each session (not counting the first), I roll 2d6. If I roll 12 or lower, I get 1 Time Point. Each time after that, I add Time Points to my roll. When I roll a 13 or higher, the month ends and I total up all my Inc and Dec d6.

But first, let's play this session.

"What's going to happen to me?" Max asked the constable.

"Since you can't pay your fine," said the other man, "we're going to put you to work."

"Okay, what am I doing?"

Good question, Max. Let's ask the Fate Chart.

(Q)  What is Max doing to pay off his fine?  (Since this isn't a yes/no question, there are no odds, just a roll on the Discover Meaning table): Frighting + Beautiful

Now I highly doubt they're hiring a newcomer, with zero fame or infamy, as muscle. But they could mean painting?

(Q)  Does Max have to do painting (50/50 as I have no idea): Yes.

The constable took Max to the office and pointed to the wall. "Clear off the graffiti and repaint this to match the rest of the building." He pointed to some buckets that sat on the ground near the wall. "Get started."

I'm making this a Challenge by THW rules. It doesn't seem difficult, just tiring, so I'll keep it at Normal difficulty. This requires rolling versus Max's Rep of 3.

Pass 1d6. (A reroll is needed, but if I get this again, it counts as Passing 0d6; a Failure).

Pass 2d6.

After several hours of work, Max finally finished the wall. It took him some time to get the graffiti off, but he finally did.

Returning, the constable clapped him on the back. "Good work. Consider your fine paid. Now I'll show you where you can sleep."

Max gained 1 Decreasing d6 from the first session for the fine, but he gained 1 Increasing d6 for this one.

Normally, I'd now roll 2d6 for the time, but since he has no Time Points, I'm just giving him 1 TP.

Also, at the end of the month, he'll have to pay for lodging. for now, the cost of food and lodging is a number of Inc d6 equal to his Rep, or a 3. This may change later, but it seems like a good place to start.

Now let's let Max gets some food and sleep. Next time, he gets his first match.


No comments:

Post a Comment