Friday, June 23, 2023

The Plot Thickens - Mythic Supers #10

 Last session, Mason met a new enemy, a mysterious old man named Armand Ricker, who could somehow move short distances in record speed through some kind of location shifting. Ricker also killed the 3 villains whom Vyper had fought before, though Wing Guard's fate is still unknown at the moment.

But first,

I'm adding a rule from the Main Mythic rules, specifically concerning Altered Scenes and Scene Interrupts. These modify the scene of your session before you start. 

Altered scenes change how you expect a scene to turn out. Maybe the bank robbery you're trying to stop already happened long before you got there or the crooks are using laser guns. Interrupts stop scenes in their tracks, taking them in new directions.  Using the previous example, your hero might be on the way to stopping the robbery when a new villain blocks your path.

In the original rules, you'd start by rolling 1d10 versus the Chaos Factor (which determines how much or little control you have over a scene). If you roll equal to or less, you trigger one of the above. However, since One Page Mythic doesn't use a Chaos Factor, I'm going to do something a little different. Instead, I'll roll 2d10. Rolling Doubles will trigger either an Altered Scene (if each # is Odd) or Interrupts (if each # is Even).

Finally, I kind of rolled ahead for some of these because I knew this scene would be less story-orientated with less game play elements. We'll see how it turns out.

To start, I want Mason to talk with Ashby about what happened with Armand Ricker. That seems like a good place to start.


Let's check first to see if the scene starts normally:  33 - Odd - Altered Scene.

So they're not having a face-to-face conversation.


(Q)  Is Mason at home?  (50/50)  No.

I'm deciding that Mason is at school.


(Q)  Is he texting with Ashby?  (Very Likely)  Yes - Random Event.

(Event)  "Information," "Official."


Sitting at a picnic table at lunch, Mason munched on his sandwich when his phone beeped. Glancing at it, he noticed Ashby had finally replied to his text sent the night before. Mason had asked if Ashby knew Armand Ricker.


(Q)  Did Ashby know Ricker?  (Likely)  Yes - Negative help. (I'm interpreting to mean he only knew of Ricker but not in person.)


The reply came; "He works as a speaker for Wylltech. You met him?"

"Yeah," Mason replied. "Apparently he's got some weird powers because he teleported or something and chased me through the mall. I barely got away."

"You found him scary?" Ashby asked.

"He's an old man," Mason texted back, "but something about him creeps me out. Plus I think he killed those three that I fought before."

"Why do you think that?"

"They were killed quickly but without wrecking anything in the alley," Mason replied in the text. "This guy, I can't explain it, but it seemed like it vanished and then reappeared closer. I won't know if it's super speed or teleporting."

"Might be a little of both."

 "What else do you know about him?" Mason asked.

"He does speeches for the company. The teleporting, apparently is a new one."

"Do you know where he is now?" Mason wondered if maybe he could find out more about the guy, well, from a distance.


(Q)  Does he know Ricker's current location?  (Unlikely if he doesn't know him well)  Yes - Random.

(Random)  "Enemies," "Expectation."

I'm going to interpret this loosely because I have an idea.


The reply came. "Possibly."

"Where?" Before Mason got a reply, someone approached and slowly took a seat across from him. Annoyed, he raised his eyes to glare but instead fought the urge to open them wide as he saw the person sitting before him.

"You are quite a challenging fellow to locate," Armand Ricker said with a smirk. "Which is little matter for I enjoy challenges."

Mason closed his hand into a fist and it started to glow.

"I would recommend against that," Ricker said, glancing around. "I assume you prefer to keep your anonymity."  Seeing Mason speechless, he let out a chuckle. "Oh don't worry, your secret is safe with me."


Really quick, I'm just going to see if Mason can seemingly keep his cool or will Ricker see right through him and know the young man is terrified. I'll use Mason's Talk +1, along with his Bluff +1 for a +2 total. I'll use Ricker's +2 Mind.


(Clash)  Did Mason hide is true emotions from Ricker?  (50/50)  Yes.


Mason opened his hand, keeping an even stare. "What do you want?"

"You know I did notice you in the sign's reflection during my speech," Ricker replied. "Everyone else listened to me either in fascination, emotional captivation, or curious fear." He pointed. "You on the other hand reacted with disinterest and even scorn. Yes, I saw all too well you rolling your eyes."

Mason stiffened. "So you're ticked because I brushed your little speech off?"

"On the contrary, my friend," he replied, "I found your reaction both peculiar and refreshing." He leaned closer. "You see, you and I differ from the rest. We stand above those around us. Together we can accomplish more than you can ever dream."

Mason had heard enough. Tossing his sandwich wrapper into a nearby trashcan, he stood, throwing his backpack over his shoulder. "No thanks. This is me rolling my eyes again." He started to walk away.


(Q)  Does Ricker stop him?  (Very Likely)  No - Random Event.

(Random)  "Fight," "NPC."

Hmm, interesting.

(Q)  Does a fight break out right there and then?  (Likely)  No.

(Q)  Did this fight already occur?  (Likely because of the previous Q)  Yes.

(Q)  Did Ricker do what I think he did?  (Likely)  Yes. (see Below)


"So headstrong and determined," Ricker said as Mason turned away. "Not like the others."

"Don't worry," Mason said as he started to walk away. "The police'll get you for killing those guys in the alley."

"Just the alley?"

Mason paused.

"Oh here, you might want this." He held out a cell phone. "Go on, take it."

Turning back, Mason glanced at the cell phone. It was on text. And the last text received read, "Where?" Then he recognized it as Ashby's phone.

"It would seem your friend found me after all," Ricker said. 

As Mason took the phone, Ricker stood and walked away. Pausing, he said, "Oh, there's a video for you to watch, but I suggest you do so in private."


(Q)  Does Ricker know Mason’s name?  (Likely)  No  


Mason glanced down at the phone and felt relieved that Ashby had labeled him ‘Kid’ in the text instead of by name. But he still wondered what happened to Ashby.


(Remember the question above? Here goes.)


Going to the top floor of the library, Mason sat in an alcove. After putting on headphones, he found the video and hit Play.

The picture started out dark until he realized the camera was pointed at Ashby's leg as he probably tried to hold his phone in a subtle manner. The mic worked though as he spoke with Charles Willard.

"I heard they arrested that winged guy," said Ashby.

"Yes, such a pity," Willard replied. "The young man worked here as an intern as he went to classes. The boy had a future."

"Not to mention his three friends who were killed."

"Some friends," Willard said. "They robbed me blind. I may not agree with the other boy taking my wing technology but at least he returned everything. Not like your friend, Vyper."

Ashby was silent for a few moments. "I'm sorry."

"Nice try," said Willard, "but I know you've been speaking to him, and somehow you even got him my technology. Now who is he?"

"I didn't give him anything," Ashby said, "but the wing guy told him that you paid his friends to steal the equipment to test it so you wouldn't be responsible if something went wrong. Then he'd pretend to retrieve it for you."

"He said that?" Mason couldn't tell if Willard deliberately sounded full of it or if he really was surprised. "That's too bad."

 "What the - "

There was a sound of something snapping, followed by a huge thud, and Ashby's phone clattering to the ground.

"Another pity," said Willard. "He was once a loyal worker."

"My apologies, Charles, for having to discipline yet another," said Armand Ricker. "I know how little you tolerate disloyalty. "

"No kidding," Willard said. "First the three I paid to 'steal' my tech and test it got cold feet and almost went to the police, and now I find out Ashby's been going behind my back this whole time. Now I need to know how he was communicating with the Vyper."

"Who?" Ricker asked. 

"Some masked lunatic who keeps interfering with my plans," Willard replied. "I don't know how he got his powers, but apparently he can fly and turn invisible."

Ricker paused before replying. "I know this boy."

"What do you mean boy?"

Well perhaps young man is more accurate. At the mall the other day," Ricker replied. "I followed a rather unusual boy but he vanished into thin air."

There was a small clinking sound, most likely of Ricker's amulat tapping the phone. Then he picked it up and Mason had to fight the urge to tremble as Ricker's face filled the screen. "Perhaps something here can assist us in finding this Vyper, especially if Mr. Ashby communicated with him."

"You think you can find him?" Willard asked.

Ricker smiled right into the camera. "Oh I believe I can. There is that university nearby. I'll see about meeting our young friend."

Mason shut down the video and turned the camera off. Dropping the phone in his lap, he covered his face with his fingers as tears streamed from his eyes. Ashby had become the closest thing he had to family. And now because of that maniac, he was gone. 

After several minutes, Mason wiped his eyes and stared down at the phone. Then another thought struck him. What if Ricker had given him the phone so they could track him? Here at the school was one thing, but if they followed him to his apartment, they could learn everything about him. Turning the phone back over, he turned it on. While not a tech wizard, he hoped he could find something if it was hidden in the phone.


Mason is going to perform a Mind Ability check to search the phone for a tracker. I have no idea what the difficulty will be so I'm going to make that my first question.


(Q)  Is the Difficulty +2?  (Likely as it may be higher but probably not lower)  Yes.

So the Difficulty is +2. Mason's Mind is +1 so he'll be rolling with a -1.


(Ability) Does Mason find the tracker?  (-1 means Unlikely)  No - Random Event.

(Random)  NPC Burden


Mason couldn't find anything indicating the phone had a tracker on it. Unfortunately, he just wasn't tech savvy enough. However he did find pictures of Ashby with friends and family over the years, including with him, Mason, and Mason's parents. Back before everything went downhill.

Turning off the phone, he considered this. He didn't have proof of a tacker, but he did have proof of Ricker committing murder on Willard's orders. Ashby deserved some kind of justice, and Mason decided he would get just that.

After placing the phone in a paper bag, he buried it under a tree at the college. Then he went home and changed. Returning in his Vyper gear, he sought to retrieve the phone.


This is technically a new scene, so I rolled 2d10 first.No Doubles, so it played out normally).


(Q)  Is the phone where he left it?  (Very Likely)  


Finding the phone still buried under a tree, Vyper dug it up but kept it in the bag. Then he flew around looking for a police officer.


(Q)  Does Mason find a police officer?  (Likely)  X-Yes.

(Q)  Are they on foot?  (50/50)  Yes.

(Q)  Are they both male?  (50/50)  Yes.


Vyper spotted two male officers patrolling the college grounds. He landed a bit away from them so they hopefully wouldn't be startled.


(Q)  Are they startled?  (Unlikely, as in hopefully not)  No, but barely.


Both officers dropped their hands to their holsters as Vyper approached. Good, they were cautious but not in a dangerous sense.

"Stop right there," said the first cop.

"It's the Vyper," said the second.

"I have a cell phone here," said Vyper. "The owner was murdered and it was all recorded."

"What's it to you?" asked the first cop.

"He was my friend," Vyper replied.


I'm going to treat this as a Clash, with Vyper trying to convince the cop that the phone contains valuable information. If he fails, the cops will become hostile instead. Vyper has +1 Talk while both officers have 0 Talk. They're cautious but not hostile (yet) so I'll keep the Difficulty at 0.


(Clash) Does Vyper convince the cops to take the phone?  (+1 means Likely)  Yes, again but barely.


The second cop slowly took the phone. "How do we know this isn't a trick?"

"The code is 1701," Vyper answered. "The phone belongs to Martin Ashby. You'll see everything in the only video there." He turned away but paused. "Be careful though. They went after the last people who knew too much. Hopefully they're not dumb enough to mess with cops."


(Q)  Do they try to stop Vyper from leaving?  (50/50 because I'm not sure)  Yes - Random Event.

(Random)  "Harm," "Conclude."


The first cop pulled out his gun. "You know there's a warrant for your arrest, right? We can't just let you walk away."

"I was afraid of that," Vyper said. He held up his hands. "I don't want to fight you, but I do want to stop those two who killed my friend."

"We don't need no vigilantes around here," said the second cop.

"Then think of this," Vyper replied. "There are still powered people going around hurting people. Do you think you can take them on?"


I'm making another check here. However this time, since the cops are wanting to bring Vyper in, I'm raising the difficulty by 1.


(Clash)  Does Vyper convince them to leave him alone?  (50/50)  Yes.


The first cop holstered his pistol and motioned his partner to do the same. "We'll pretend this conversation never happened, but just this once."

"Thank you." Vyper took off into the air, hoping the cops would do the right thing, and more importantly, survive doing so.


Since Vyper succeeded with 3 separate rolls, I'm going to award him another Hero Token, giving him 3 total. Trust me, he's going to need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment