Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Mythic Supers Game

 I was watching Spiderman Homecoming (currently my favorite Spiderman film, followed by 1 and 2) and decided I wanted to play a supers game. Now the last time I tried this, I mixed Mythic with TWERPS, and ultra-simple system. Unfortunately, TWERPS is currently in a box somewhere so I needed a plan b.

Note: Consider this Session -1, as I'm posting the rules I'm using and how I'm using them. Session 0 will then be where I introduce my characters.

Recently the creator of Mythic, Tana Pigeon, wrote an issue of Mythic magazine (#28) that featured Clash combat rules. These streamline combat by taking all of the turns and making them a complete fight. For example, in a shootout between a cop and crook, instead of rolling initiative and then having each character roll, you'd roll once for everyone. It can also be used for non-combat rules, such as two characters competing for an object, one character sneaking past another, or one trying to escape.

For combat, I'm using One Page Mythic again, along with the Creature Crafter for coming up with powers.

This time, I won't be using rules by Two Hour Wargames because I think Mythic covers all the rules I need. But don't worry, I'm also busy enough working on updating a previous THW scifi title.

Now for stats, I streamlined those in the Mythic RPG red book. All characters have 5 Abilities:

Body - Melee combat, physical tasks, toughness.

Agility - Ranged combat, finnese tasks, reflexes.

Mind - Mental tasks, intellect, wit.

Talk - Interactions.

Heart - Powers.

 Abilities range from +5 to -5 with 0 being average. When making a roll, you treat it as a Fate question, starting at 50/50 and modifying it by your ability and the Difficulty. For example, asking, "Can my character lift that rock?" If the difficulty is average and the character's Body is +1, the odds would be Likely. If the Difficulty was -2, then the Odds would shift to Unlikely. For opposed rolls, I'll use the Clash system.

In addition, characters also have Skills, which grant a +1 to an Ability, but under certain circumstances. These circumstances are usually based on the goal on the Clash chart and can include things like Melee Combat (Body), Armor (Body), Shooting (Agility), Computer Use (Mind), and Bluff (Talk).

Instead of having powers with different stats each, they fall either under one of the Abilities (usually Heart, unless you have say Super Strength, then it'd be Body). Skills can then modify how powers are used.

For example:

Zapman has a Heart of 1 with the power; Electricity. He also has for a Skill; Zap Bolt +1. So when shooting a Zap Bolt, he'd actually get a +2. 

Each Character also gets a Character Level. For each Level, a character gets 5 Ability points and 2 Skill points. Level 0 characters (those without powers or anything that stands out) can have a + ability if they have a - to something else. So a cop with +1 Agility might have -1 Heart.

When rolling on the clash chart, most characters will match Abilities. For example, if Zapman is hurling a zap bolt at a cop, he'd use his Heart, and the cop would use his Heart to attempt to resist the attack.

At least that's the plan. We'll see if it actually works.


No comments:

Post a Comment