Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Saurian Scholar Part II



I finally got to continue my game of Edd's Pub.  Last time, they met a Saurian caster named Drastica Trembletoes.  Drastic, unlike others of her race, preferred books and learning over bloodshed and sought a way to the escape.

"I have heard of a land called Zamonia where I may be more-welcome than here," Drastica said.  "I grow tried of being hunted just because I don't wish to eat my enemies and for wanting to continue my career in writing."

"Well," Skandor said, "Edd's Pub possesses many doors leading to countless lands.  Perhaps one will lead you there."

"And we'll help you get there," Mara added.

Leaping to his feet, Aerus drew his bow.  "What are we waiting for?  Let's go?"

As they walked, Skandor turned to Drastica.  "So have you written anything?"

"I've gotten one book published," Drastica answered.  "It's titled; Alchemy for Fools."

Skandor nodded.  "I remember that book.  'White's all right, green is serene.  Drink the red; bye bye, you're dead."

Drastica chuckled then turned to Skandor.  "I have a question.  Were you not a dwarf only hours ago?"

"Yes," Skandor answered, "but in the night, I was cursed to resemble a human by an unknown being."

"I see," Drastica replied.  "Though it sounds like something a writer would do if he forgot you are a dwarf."


Unfortunately, before the group could go far, they ran into a group of Saurians bent on revenge for the loss of the buddies in the previous battle.



Winning on the Action table, the Saurians struck first.



Mara was double-teamed and stabbed, falling to the ground before her shocked teammates.  Luckily, they fought on without pause or fear.



Enraged by the loss of their ally, Aerus and Drastica defeated four of the Saurians, while the final one fled.

They group then returned to their mortally-injured friend.

"We'll never forget you," Aerus said.  "You'll be in hearts, Lady Sweetness."

Even while choking up blood, Mara rolled her eyes.  "That's Mara, you stupid sack of-"

Too bad those were her final words.



A few hours later, the group reached the edge of The Woods when they encountered a woman hunting wolves.

"I am Aerus, leader of this brave band."

The woman bowed.  "Noble sir, I am known as Lyra."

Skandor turned to Drastica.  "Noble?"

"We are preparing to cross the forest," Aerus said.  "Care to join us?"

"Thank you," Lyra answered.  "Safety would definitely exist in numbers."

"I wonder about that though," Skandor pondered.  "It seems like every time we add members to our group, the number of opponents we face increases."

"That's just your imagination," said Aerus.

The group then started to enter the forest, ready for anything.



Well, almost anything.  Two trolls emerged from the forest.

"Hey, you want to join us in playing Troll Ball?" one of them asked.

"All right!  Sports!"  Aerus jumped up and down.

Drastica stepped back.  "If you plan to use our heads for the balls, we'll opt out."

Hearing the answer, the second troll slapped the first.  "Why'd you even give them a choice?"

The first one shrugged, then grinned.  "Oh I just like my victims to believe they have one."



"Think again."  Raising her hands, Drastica launched a series of magical bolts.  The bolts struck the trolls, and the creatures crashed to the ground with a loud Thud.  Turning to her allies, she spoke.  "I apologize if I acted impulsively.  I have read in the past about Orc and Troll Ball games and knew the outcome would not end in our favor."

"No arguments here," Skandor replied, surveying the smoking carcasses.



Some time later, the group ran into a ghoul, digging in a makeshift graveyard.

"Hey pale face," Aerus said, stepping forward.

"Pale face?"  The ghoul stopped and looked up.  "How dare you?"

Aerus gestured to the graves.  "I may be a womanizing, self-centered, impulsive . . . what was I saying . . . oh yeah, but I believe the dead should be left in peace."

"They at peace," said the ghoul, jabbing at the dirt with its shovel.  "Now Mozy just want pieces for dinner."

Drawing his bow, Aerus shook his head.  "I think not, rotting one.  We shall respect the departed."  With that, he lifted his bow to the sky and began singing a hymn to the departed.

(Intimidation check - Passed)



"No more!  No more!"  Covering what was left of his ears, the ghoul spun around and vanished in the brush.

Drastica nodded.  "Well that was clever."

"What was clever?" Aerus asked.



Before she could answer, a series of shrieks surrounded them and several cloaked women dropped from the trees.

"Witches!" cried Lyra.

Aerus grinned.  "Hello ladies."

However, the witches seemed unwilling to play nice and began hurling spells at the group.



Aerus shot one with his bow while Lyra lunged forward and buried her mace into another's skull.  Drastica hurled more magic bolts and dropped the third, and the fourth took off, vanishing into smoke.

"So when am I going to see some action?" Skandor asked.

"Hey, you healed us," Aerus answered.

"You aid us in your own way," Drastica said, "and for that we are grateful."

Skandor grunted.  At least the curse lifted and I look normal again.

Lyra pointed.  "I think we're reaching the edge of the forest."



"Thank you for your help,"  Drastica said to the group.  "I wish I could continue with you but I used my last coin.  I will find the path to Zamonia on my own."

"We'll miss you," Aerus said.  "Stay safe."


(After the adventure, Aerus improved to Rep 6, Skandor improved to Rep 4, and Drastica improved to Rep 5.  Perhaps this is not the last our heroes have seen of the mysterious scholar!


No comments:

Post a Comment