Friday, August 25, 2017

Return to Salem - High Moon AAR Part II



Here is part 2 of my High Moon campaign.  With Kara attempting to return to her home in Salem, MA, she must first travel through the old west.  Can she survive?  We'll see.


Having decided she cannot return to the small town from which she was kidnapped, Kara decided the best course of action would be to return to her original home in Salem.  Two centuries ago, she was forced to flee after her home, but those who had threatened her were long gong, and hopefully no one remaining would recognize her.

For this game, I'm using the Ride the Trail encounter.  In addition, since she's making a trip from point A to B, I'm using Battle Board rules, resolving the PEFs one after another.


Knowing this was going to be a long trip, and not having a horse, Kara transformed into a crow and began flying through the woods.

Kara succeeded with her Transformation spell, and under the rules, she can travel an unlimited distance this way.  However, I'll still resolve PEFs; she just won't have to actually interact with them if she doesn't want to.



Again, the PEFs (represented by the d6) are not set up by actual distance, but just to show I'll be resolving them one after another.

As she flew through the woods, Kara glanced down at saw movement below.


A were wolf ran under her.  Despite the creature being known for its uncanny sensing abilities, it didn't seem to notice her.

I decided not to interact with it.  But since it resolved as a lone character, I chose to resolve the next PEF and see if the two linked together.


The second PEF resolved as two Gunman.  Taking the Friend or Foe test, I learned they were Foes and decided they were Outlaws.

"There it is, the monster?"

Two men emerged from the brush behind the werewolf, and it spun around to face them.

"It changed into a monster," one of them said.  "Now we can kill And skin it!"

Taking the Friend or Foe test for the werewolf, I got Friend.  Normally you don't take this test for creatures, but since we're both creatures, I chose to.


More outlaws, Kara thought.  Dropping to the ground, she resumed her human shape.

"Look," one of the outlaws said, "another of those things."

"I bet them hides'll sell real good."  The other grinned.


Going first, Kara fired a Damage spell.

Raising her staff, Kara said, "Oh I don't think so, gentlemen."  Her staff began to glow and suddenly vines dropped from the trees and grabbed one of the men by his arms and legs.  His partner rolled out of the way as the fir man was pulled up into the trees.  His screaming stopped only after blood fell to the dirt, landing on his hat.


While the spell hit both men, I scored an OD on the first and Duck Back on the second.  Now it's the werewolf's turn.


Baring its fangs, the werewolf lunged forward and lunged at the man.

It passed on the Charge table, so the outlaw couldn't fire, but then it scored Evenly Matched on Melee.

Kara watched the werewolf attack the man, swinging its claws and roaring.  Then she heard a clang sound and the creature backed off, surprised.  She then realized the man had used his gun to pistol-whip the beast.  Rushing forward, she stepped in to help.

As the outlaw had sucked back, it couldn't act that turn.  Rolling again, Kara and the werewolf again attacked.




Raising her staff again, she fired a magical bolt that struck the man in the chest.  Bouncing off a nearby tree, he collapsed.

OOF

I then rolled for the werewolf and got a female.


Turning to Kara, the werewolf changed back to a human form, in this case, a young woman.

"Thank you," she said.  "My name is Francesca.  A few nights ago, something attacked me in these woods, and I thought I was dead.  But then I woke up without a scratch and returned home.  Then tonight as I was gathering water from the well, those men tried to have their way with me.  Suddenly I turned into that beast.  Not knowing what happened, I ran."

"I'm Kara and they looked like a gang I had dealt with recently.  Tell me Francesca, is this town close by?"

"It's not far," she answered.  "I'll show you how to get there."

The third PEF resolved as Pass 1d6.  Well I couldn't end the game just yet, so I resolved a fourth, using 3d6 and it passed, resolving as more Gunman.  And once again, they were Foes.


Just then, three men rushed up, wearing similar sashes to the two outlaws, probably the same gang.

"Look," one of them said, "they killed Wilbur!"

"Where's Otis?" another asked.

Looking up, the third covered his mouth and pointed.

"You'll pay for that."  The three outlaws, pointing their shotguns, started forward.

The first Outlaws was Rep 5, the second Rep 4, the third Rep 3.  All 3 had shotguns.  Luckily we went first again.

"Not tonight, gentlemen."  Raising her staff, Kara whispered some words.  Suddenly, tree branches lowered and impaled the men before they could blink.


OD on the Rep 3 and 4.  OOF on the Rep 5.

The leader, lying bleeding on the ground, reached for his shotgun, but Francesca stepped forward and kicked it away.

"You demonic-"  He collapsed before he could finish.

After another hour, they reached the well.

"Here it is," Francesca said.  "However, too many people saw me change so I can't return."

I wanted to keep Kara alone for her adventures, so I decided not to recruit her.

"I understand," Kara said.  "There is a village a few hours west of here.  They're a kind, caring people, and I'm sure they'll make you feel welcome."

"Thank you.  I only hope they face less danger from outlaws like the ones who attacked us."

Kara smirked.  "Oh I don't think you have to worry about that.  Good luck."

Kara had rendered 5 foes OOF/OD.  I didn't count the Interaction with Francesca as Kara had helped her first.  Rolling 5 Increasing d6, I got 0 sixes.  Kara does not improve her Rep this time.

As the other woman vanished into the woods, Kara passed the well and observed her new surroundings.


No comments:

Post a Comment