Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Unseen Mystery Part 4 - Mythic/Discworld Game

 All right, I was dragging my feet the past two sessions. I'll admit I was more interesting in padding my word count so I could break my record of writing 10,000 words in a single day. BTW, I succeeded!

So let's get this mystery moving. Watch rookies, I mean members, Ibash Urskul and Yugo Thud are now going to question each of the 3 suspects who had also used the lab where Kaylor had been conducting experiments before someone so rudely tried to murder him.

Now I recently received a pdf of Mythic 2e as a gift (Thank you, Tana!), and it contains some great material that adds to my collection from the magazines. This includes several new tables for generating characters. The first is simple titled, 'Character,' is is a catch-all, giving you a quick summary of the person. The second is about Skills, allowing you to learn what the person is good at. And the third is Names, and it helps you name not only characters, but places as well. Plus it's generic enough to be used for any genre. 

Oh, and you're not supposed to take the name results literally, so you'll see a bit of interpretation from me.


But let's bring in the first suspect, shall we? 


(Q)  Are they all Level 2?  (Likely)  Yes.

(Q)  Are they all Human?  (Likely)  Yes, barely.


Character: Crazy, Questioning.

Skills:  Conflict, Ruin.

Name:  Orn, Ar, Occupation, Drah.

Level 2; Do: +1, Think: +3, Talk: +1.


"Your name," said Yugo Thud, as he sat in the chair, eyes locked on the suspect.

The young man, who looked like he worked out a bit, stared right back without blinking. "Homer Sweed. Do you need my parents' name as well?"

"That won't be necessary." Ibash Urskul either failed to notice the young wizard's darcasm or chose to ignore it. "You were signed up to use the lab after Kaylor Wallow, correct?"

"I was signed up for the afternoon," Sweed answered. "Is that a crime?"

"Trying to murder him's the crime," said Yugo.

"What experiment were you working on?" Ibash asked.


(Spell Effect)  What experiment was he working on?  "Self," "Death." (I'm avoiding the obvious interpretation and going with something more loose.


I'm going to have Ibash make a Talk check to see if he can succeed with his questioning. Ibash has Talk +1, but so does Sweed.


(Talk) Does Ibash succeed?  (0 = 50/50)  Yes.


 "I was trying to give myself the ability to see ghosts," Sweed answered. "Necromancy is a tough field, especially combining it with Divination."

"Did you leave anything behind the night before the explosion?" Ibash asked.

Sweed shook his head, "I just had my spell book and bag full of components, none of which could explode. Anything else?"

"Just one last question." Ibash paused for a moment. "what are your thoughts toward Kaylor Wallow"


(Q)Did Sweed even know Kaylor?  (Very Likely)  Yes, Barely.

(Q)  Did he dislike him?  (50/50)  No.


The young wizard shrugedg. "He's in a few of my classes, but we don't hang out. We all have our own projects."

"Were you threatened by his project?" Yugo asked.

"Why, is he trying to talk to the dead too?" Sweed asked, suddenly angry.

"No," assured Ibash, "he's making round thinks float or something."

"Oh," the young wizard said, "then why should I care? I'm going to ace my project no matter what he does?"

"Thank you for your time," said Ibash. "We might have more questions later."

An hour later, they brought in the next student.


Character:  Playful, Cautious.

Skills:  Water, Art.

Name:  Virtue, Orn, Drah, Ess.


"Your name," said Yugo.

"Coran Taist," said the young wizard.

"And what were you researching in the lab?"

"You mean before Kay blew it to pieces?" Coran smirked. "I make ice sculptures."

"That seems like a waste of a wizard's power," said Yugo.

"Oh it's not that easy," said Coran. "First I control the water to make the shake, and then I freeze it in place."

"Actually," said Ibash, "that's quite interesting. Now did you leave anything behind the night before?"

"And let someone steal my work?" Coran shook his head. "I'd never risk my project on that."

"Okay," Ibash thought for a moment. "Were you close with Kaylor Wallow?"


(Q)  Did Coran know Kaylor?  (Very Likely)  Yes, barely.

(Q)  Did he dislike Kaylor?  (50/50)  No.


The young wizard shrugged. "I've seen him around, you know, a face in the classroom, that's about all."

"Thank you," said Ibash. After Coran left, Ibash turned to Yugo. "What do you think?"


(Q)  Is Yugo suspicious?  (Likely)  Yes, Random Event.

(Event)  Object, Create.

(Q)  Did someone find evidence that water was present in the lab?  (Likely)  Yes.


"He claimed he didn't know Mr. Wallow well," said the dwarf, "and yet he referred to him by a nickname, Kay." He then pulled out a piece of paper and looked over it. "And Brigda claimed to finding a puddle of water under one of the shelves."

Ibash frowned. "A fire suppression system?"

Yugo shook his head. "The bucket was blown into the far wall."

The troll considered this. "The boy's experiment from the previous night."

"Possible." The dwarf nodded his head. "I'd think it'd evaporate by then."

"Quite possible," said the troll. "Let's talk to our third suspect."


Character:  Violent, Aggressiveness.

Skills:  Investigate, Communicate.

Name:  Kr, Tor, Fr, Number.

Level 2:  Do:  +2, Think:  +4, Talk:  0.


"Your -"

"Kramer Frunt." The young wizard sat, leaning forward in his chair. "Let's get this over with."

"What kind of experiment were you working on?" Ibash asked.


(Q)  Does Kramer cooperate?  (Very Unlikely)  X-No, Random Event.

(Event)  Distant, Enemies.

(Q)  Is he trying to kill Kaylor?  (50/50)  X-Yes.


 Wow, I thought it was the other guy! Guess I need some spells for Kramer.


(Spells)  Light-Powerful, Mind-Shield, Environment-Emotion, Cold-Restore, Weak-Soul, Poison-Inspect.


I'm going to interpret these to mean:

- Create light.

- Mind shield.

- Cry Baby (Make people around you feel an emotion for 10 seconds)

- Counter Cry Baby (in case someone tries it on him)

- Terror (Level 3 Fear spell)

- Find Poison.


"Why are you even asking me these things?" Kramer asked. "The lab's sign-up sheet was erased."

Yugo sat up straight. "How did you know it was erased?"


The smarter they are, the dumber they are.


Eyes going wide, Kramer leaped out of his seat. Ibash and Yugo immediately stood up, hands falling to their weapons.


Kramer will try and use his Cry Baby spell on the two watchmen (Effect), and they will try to restrain him (also Effect). Kramer has +2 Think but -1 for the second opponent. 

Bash has +2 Do, +1 for Yugo's help.


(Clash)  Does Kramer succeed?  (0 = 50/50)  Yes.

Kramer's Think is +4 vs. Ibash's 0 and Yugo's +2, so it works.


Kramer lifted his hands. "Spilled milk!"

Ibash stopped, dropped his crossbow, and burst into tears. "Oh no, I miss my gramms!"

Yugo covered his face. "I miss mine too!"

The two leaned against each other, sobbing hysterically. Turning on his heels, Kramer burst from the room.


(Q)  Does Kramer run for it?  (No means he goes after Kaylor)  (Likely)  No.

(Q)  Does he have a weapon?  (Very Likely)  Yes, Random Event.

(Event)  Mundane, Move.


I'm interpreting that to mean he was able to get past everyone and reach Kaylor's room without anyone noticing, so a dagger seems like the best weapon.


(Q)  Does the dagger have a +1 enchantment (Likely)  Yes.

(Q)  Is it also poisoned?  (Likely)  No.


You know what?  I'm going to say the +1 Is the poison.


Kramer burst into Kaylor's room to find the other young wizard sitting at his desk. In another chair sat a gray skinned, muscular figure.

"Stop right there, in the name of the watch!" said Bridga Hert.

For a brief moment, Kramer stared. "How many of you are there?"

Before the undead watchman could react, Kramer let loose with his Terror spell.


The Spell is Level 3, so Kramer suffers a -3 when casting it. However, if it hits, it gets a +3 against anyone trying to resist. He also suffers a -1 because, again, he's casting it against 2 people.


(Magic)  Does Kramer successfully cast the spell (50/50)  Yes.

(Magic)  Does Brigda resist the spell?  (+1 Think vs. +6 = Impossible)  No.

(Magic)  Does Kaylor resist the spell?  (+3 Think +3 Danger Sense vs. +6 = 50/50)  Yes, Random.

(Event)  Increase, Progress.


"Boo!" Kramer shouted.

Brigda fell to all fours and cowered behind the bed. "No! Monsters!"

But Kaylor held is ground. "So all along, it was you, you . . . you. Who are you anyway?"

"My name's Kramer." "He held out his dagger. "I can see magic won't work against you. Setting traps don't work. I'll just have to try something, more direct."

"Okay." Kaylor kept his hands by his side. "But first would you tell me why you're doing all this?"


Good question.


(Detail)  Why is Kramer trying to murder Kaylor?  Failure, Stop.


"I messed up my project and now I'm going to flunk Prenk's class," Kramer said. "But if I off one of my classmates, maybe that'll impress the higher ups enough to fast-track me to the top. After all, wizards here just LOVE ambition! Sending you to an early grave will show them I'm definitely high level material. Then I won't even need to pass. why do you think I work out so much? all the higher ups are so out of shape, I could body slam them right off the tower. But I'll start with you."

Kaylor stared at him. "That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life, and I just sat in Garfnozell's class." He began to pace. "You do realize that I'm low level. Killing me does nothing to get you ahead, not even a little. Not to mention, you really think they'll promote someone who so blatantly and stupidly admits to murder? There's a little word called subtly, you know."


(Q) Did Brigda have time to recover?  (+1 Think vs. -1 RS from the effects = 50/50)  No.


From the corner of his eye, Kaylor noticed Brigda. For an undead, he still whimpered in the corner.

"The watch are So good at their jobs!" Kramer cackled. "Don't you feel safe? I'm stronger. I'm smarter, and I'm much more powerful." He gestured to his dagger. "I also coated this with a little surprise. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to get poison when you're friends with - "

Kaylor rolled his eyes. "Enough with the monologues. Just kill me already."

Kramer grinned. "Gladly." He stepped forward, pointing the blade at his opponent's chest. "Get ready to die."

Kaylor star right at him. "Who am I again?"


Kramer is going to try to stab our hero, while Kaylor will attempt his Forget me So spell. Kaylor has +3 Think. Kramer is attacking melee and his Do is +2.


(Clash)  Does Kaylor win the Clash?  (+1 = Likely)  Yes.


Kramer stopped in his tracks. "Why you're, huh?"

Kaylor ran past him and down the hallway.


(Q)  Did Ibash and Yugo recover yet?  (+2 Do vs. -2 RS from the X result = 50/50)  No.


Kaylor ran back to the room, only to find the other two watchmen still in tears.

"Gramms!" Ibash embraced Yugo who sobbed into his friend's shoulder.

Shutting the door, he locked it behind him. Running over to the two watchmen, he grabbed their shoulders. "Snap out of it! He's coming this way!"

When both men ignored him, he held onto their shoulders. "What are you doing?"


This is a slightly more powerful version of the spell. Instead of making someone forget the caster, it makes them forget what they're doing. It's a Level 1 spell and lasts 10 minutes.


(Magic) Does Kaylor's spell work?  (+3 Think -1 for two targets vs. Level 1 = Likely)  Yes.


Opening their eyes, Ibash and Yugo stood straight up.

"You're right," said Ibash. "Let's stop that guy."


(Q)  Will Kramer go after Kaylor now?  (Very Unlikely)  X-Yes.

Damn, this guy's a psycho!


They turned, hearing a crashing against the door.

"We're not done yet, Wallow!" said Kramer from the other side of the door. "I'll pass my class if I have to turn you all to dust."

"I take back what I said before." Kaylor shook his head. "THAT was the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

Ibash held up his crossbow. "I'm ready."

Yugo held up his staff. "Me too."

But Kaylor held up his hand. "Last time, he turned you into bawling infants. Don't charge ahead."

Ibash glanced over. "What do you have in mind."

Kaylor thought for a moment. "Keep bawling."

The two watchmen looked at each other and then lowered themselves to their knees while pretending to cry. "Gramm Gramm! Why must the good leave us so young!"

There was another banging on the door.


(Q)  Is bashing the door +2 Difficulty?  (Likely)  Yes.

(Do)  Does Kramer succeed in bashing it?  (+2 vs. +2 Diff = 50/50)  Yes.


Slamming his foot into the door, Kramer knocked it loose. Entering the room, he found himself staring at Kaylor while the two watchmen were on their knees, still sobbing away.

"A guys," said Kaylor, "now would be a pretty good time to snap out of it."


This is a Bluff attempt by Kaylor, Ibash, and Yugo. Kaylor has +4 Bluff, with +1 from Ibash having +1 talk. Yugo's talk is 0 so he won't be counted. Kramer's Wit (awareness) is +4. If it works, they'll get to attack Kramer before he can cast another spell.


(Clash)  Does Kaylor bluff Kramer?  (+1 = Likely)  Yes.


Kramer laughed. "I can't believe the best the watch can do is send a bunch of babies to protect you, Wallow." He started forward with his dagger. "I dare you to try that stunt again."

Suddenly, Ibash pointed his crossbow and fired, striking Kramer in the chest. He stumbled back a few steps in shock.


Kramer suffers a -1 RS.


(Q)  Does Kramer run?  (Likely)  No, Random Event.

(Event)  Benefit, Surprise.

(Q)  Is Brigda the surprise?  (Likely)  Yes, Random Event.

(Event)  Goals, NPC.

(Q)  Is the NPC Brigda?  (50/50)  Yes.

(Q)  Does he get a surprise bonus?  (Likely)  No.


As Kramer backed to the doorway, he failed to see the gray-skinned person behind him.


This will be a one on one Clash between Brigda and Kramer. Both will use Do, though Kramer has a -1 RS from his injury.


(Clash)  Does Brigda win the Clash?  (+1 = Likely)  No.


Brigda lunged forward but Kramer dodged him. "Nice try, but you smell like Professor Grant's funeral."

But he forgot about Kaylor, who used his Levitate spell to pick up a vase and hurled it at the insane young wizard's head. Ibash, meanwhile, armed another bolt and fired his crossbow, and Yugo swung his staff at the young man's chest.


Kaylor has +3 Magic, +1 for Ibash, and another +1 for Yugo (who is attacking now instead of bluffing), versus Kramer's +4 Magic, -1 RS.


(Clash)  Do the heroes win the Clash? (+1 = Likely)  Yes.

Another -1 RS, but versus the combined attack, I'm making it a total of -3 RS.

(Incapacity)  Is Kramer Incapacitated?  (+4 vs. -3 = Certain)  Yes.


The vase slammed into Kramer's head. He stumbled, but then Yugo's staff struck his chest and he fell down. Just as he raised his head, Ibash's bolt caught him in the throat and he fell to the ground.

Just them Professor Prenk ran in. "My word! What happened?"

"We found out who was after me," said Kaylor, as the watchmen got to their feet. "Turned out his was failing your class and thought dropping me would gain him some favor."

"That's the stupidest thing I've heard," said the professor, "and I've sat in on Garfnozell's lectures." He then whispered to Kaylor. "But you didn't hear that from me."

Kaylor shrugged. "Heard what."

As Prenk leaned over the fallen Kramer, he shook his head. "Will he be all right?"

Yugo leaned over the body and felt for a pulse. "Doubt it."

"We'll take things from here," said Ibash.

"Good, good." Prenk led Kaylor out of the room. "I'm so sorry you had to go through with this, especially since you have a ways to go in your career at this university.. However, you proved yourself quite adept at surviving so I'll make a note of that when I grade your assignment."

"Thanks," said Kaylor, "but I would like to continue. I was having a lot of fun, until, you know."

Nodding, the professor smiled. "I'll see if I can get you into another lab. Just make sure you keep your belongings with you next time."

"I will," Kaylor turned to go back to his room.

"And I'm going to make a school-wide announcement," said Prenk. "No attempting to remove your classmates. That will gain you no advantages." He then lowered his voice. "Not this lower levels anyway.


 So that ends that game, and I finally have an ending to my mystery. But the stories don't end there, especially with Discworld have over 40 books. I'm sure I can come up with a few more games here and there. Plus I wouldn't mind expanding on the adventures of Ibash, Yugo, and Brigda.


Until next time . . .






 


No comments:

Post a Comment