Tuesday, October 30, 2018

National Novel Writing Month is almost here!



It's almost time for another National Novel Writing Month, the online contest in which you try to write a 50,000 word (about 150 page) novel in 30 days.  Last year I wrote a horror/slash/ghost story that was a lot of fun to write, even though I think I'd have more success if I marketed it as a cure for insomnia. 

This year, I was planning on starting with a blank slate and just making up the story as I went.  But then after talking with some people on the message boards, I decided to try something else.  Also, after 7 months, I finally finished writing my science fiction novel, Dark Stream.  Since I felt drained after that, I figured this year's NaNo would just be a fun project instead.

Last year, I read Zastrozzi, which has become one of my favorite novels.  In it, the 'hero' Zastrozzi hunts down and makes life miserable for the 'villain' Verezzi.  Now I used quotes because the actual roles of hero and villain are a gray area to most.  Personally, I see the title character as the hero, especially after he killed his scumbag father.  Unfortunately in a bittersweet ending (spoiler alert!), the novel ends in a bittersweet manner with Zastrozzi causing Verezzi to kill himself but getting arrested and executed himself. 

Enter my fanfiction story.

In Zastrozzi, the Rescue, the title character's servants; Bianca, Bernardo, and Ugo, set out to rescue their friend.  I even made a cover just for fun, along with a synopsis.


After witnessing the murder of her parents at the hands of a corrupt priest, young Bianca flees her Italian village and meets Zastrozzi.  Under his guidance, she learns to focus her anger and to use her mind and creativity to strike at those who threaten her.  Disguised as a a crone, Bianca serves Zastrozzi and helps him achieve revenge against his father and half brother.

But when Zastrozzi gets arrested and the priest who murdered her parents sentences him to execution, Bianca hatches a plan, and with the help of Zastrozzi's former servants, Bernardo and Ugo, sets out not only to save her friend but to get her own measure of revenge.

If you're interested in trying NaNo, you can find the web site here:

https://nanowrimo.org/dashboard

Sign up is free.  You just need a way to write on your computer, tablet, Ipad, etc.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment