Sunday, September 13, 2015

World War II! CR 2015 Large-Scale battle.

For my next game, I decided to try a larger scale battle, with about 20-30 troops on each side.  Since I don't have enough Rebels or Imperials, I chose to use my WWII minis instead while using streamlined Nuts FV rules.


Here's the set-up.  Germans in Black and British in Blue.  Also, Squad leaders (with rubber bands around them) were Rep 5 (including my Star), while everyone else is Rep 4.  I also included Radio Operators, who act as squad leaders for their group when rolling for Activation and Reactions.

 This is a simple game with the objective simply being to eliminate all opponents.  In addition, all buildings are 1-story.  Snipers who duck back can move backward to another building as long as it's no more than a space away.



The first round began with everyone making a mad dash for the center.  Multiple In Sight tests took place, and bodies quickly littered the streets (which you can see by the figures beside the map).



This British Demolitions Officer and Radio Operator got cocky and tried to split German defenses.  Unfortunately, they failed the IS test against both groups and got slaughtered.



This is what happens when you roll Activation without an RO.



My Commando (with the red rubber band) lost his IS test.  While he managed to avoid both the enemy DO and RO, he got caught by the Sniper.  I rolled OD for damage, but I still had my Star Power to save me!



CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Luckily, those in range past their Crisis Test and continued on without their brave leader.



Inspired by their leader's loss, my troops continued on and quickly thinned out the enemy's ranks.  Pushing forward, they eliminated our foes . . .



 . . . one at a time.  This left the Germans with their Sniper/Squad Leader and an RO against, well, quite a few opponents.  Their brave leader may be gone, but my loyal and able troops have this fight in the bag!



Or not.  At least we still have 2 against 1.  



Make that 1 against 1.  But the sniper lacks movement.  My last remaining soldier passes 2d6 on Fast Move and attempts to flank the enemy.   We still hvae a chance!



Never mind!  and what's worse, the enemy Squad Leader would've advanced to Rep 6.

Overall it was a fun game, though at times, I forgot who had acted and whose turn it was.  when in doubt though, I just stopped and rerolled Activation.

Once again, this used CR 2015 rules from Two Hour Wargames, which made battles with this many troops easier, at least for me.  If you like games like these in the WWII genre, I highly reccommend Nuts Final Version.  This game covers multiple aspects of WWII, with armies, weapons, random encounters, and scenarios.  Also, you can pick up supplements that cover battles in Russia, France, Japan, and (in upcoming books) Italy and Norway.  You can even find a supplement covering experimental technology like lasers and robots.

Go to www.twohourwargames.com for more details.

Next time, I'm going to try for a smaller game, but everyone will only have pistols and grenades.  I also completed rules for Grenades vs. Buildings.  Let's see what happens when everyone is just trying to blow each other up!


2 comments:

  1. Having played a game involving grenades, I'm pretty sure it will be bloody - and some of it will be blue-on-blue!

    ReplyDelete