Saturday, June 6, 2020

The Saurian Scholar Part 3: The Fight Begins

Drastica Trembletoes awoke to find the town in disarray. Stepping out of the inn, she saw people panicking, running to the guards for help. Reaching the guards herself, one handed her a note that was found.

'Because the pretty creature known as Drastica Trembletoes continues to dishonor me, I've punished the entire town by taking all the gold from the treasury. If you want it back, Trembletoes must meet me at the old graveyard, once and for all.

Sir Ender'

"He won't be alone," said the guard.

Drastica nodded. "Then I need a team of my own for this one."

This is a Raid Encounter. I'll only resolve 1 PEF, which is Sir Ender's Group. For Drastica's group, I'm going to recruit beforehand. However, to make things interesting, I decided to use the in-town Who Are They tables but then perform an Interaction to try and recruit the person. No Increasing or Decreasing d6 are gained. The individual either agrees or doesn't. I'll roll 6 characters and recruit as many as I can (up to 5).

1. Shooter (Men); Rep 4. Passed.

Ryal,the guard agreed to help as he would also be helping the people of the town.

2. Dwarf Solder; Rep 4. Failed.

Not my problem.

3. Goblin Soldier; Rep 4. Passed.

"Sir Ender slaughtered my brothers and sisters. I'll make him pay!"

4. Dwarf Soldier Rep 4. Passed.

"Madam, my ax is at your disposal."

5. Caster (Men); Rep 4. Pass.

"He who thinks solely by the blade must fall upon in."

6. Orc Soldier; Rep 4. Scored Even, so treated as Fail.

"Crumb would help but Crumb is busy hunting other thugs."

So my final team consists of the following:

Drastica Trembletoes; Saurian Caster; Rep 6; AC 2; Rage, Cast Spells, Resilient.

Ryal; Men Shooter; Rep 4; AC 4; Lightweight.

Timble; Goblin Soldier; Rep 4; AC 2; Lightweight.

Grumble; Dwarf Soldier; Rep 4; AC 4; Resilient.

Petroz; Men Caster; Rep 4; AC 2; Resilient.



That night, the group reached the graveyard. Noticing torches which lit a clearing, they approached.

"So you summoned some courage," spoke Sir Ender, as he appeared from the shadows. With a gesture, he called several others to his side.




For Sir Ender's side, I rolled the same number, 5 individuals, including Ender himself. Before I started, I checked to see if Sir Ender had improved from our last meeting. Giving him 3 Increasing d6, I rolled all 3, but none scored high enough. He'd retain his Rep of 5. Rolling on the Men table (I figured he'd keep only his only kind), I got the following:

Sir Ender; Rep 5 Knight; AC 6; Resilient.
Caster; Rep 4; AC 2; Lightweight.
Soldier; Rep 4; AC 4; Resilient.
Soldier; Rep 4; AC 4; Slippery.
Soldier; Rep 3; AC 2; Slippery.

The fight began!


Emerging from the Shadows, Ender's group had the advantage. However, Drastica's group scored better on the Action table and went first.


First round of combat was a brutal one. Rather than winning the fight on her own, I had Drastica start by casting a Dazzle spell. tossing sparkling slights into her foe's faces, she caused them to stumble.

Ryal fired a shot at Ender, causing him to slip behind one of the torches.

Timble and Grumble charged two of the enemy soldiers, but unfortunately, after a back and forth fight, the two were knocked to the ground, bleeding and barely alive.

Ending the round strong, Petroz launched a series of magical bolts that dropped the enemy caster and one solder and sent everyone else back into the shadows.

The round ended with a roll on Will to Fight, which both sides passed.

Onto the next round.


Drastica launched her own magical bolts, which struck the life out of the remaining soldier and sent Ender scurrying back to his hiding place. Both Ryal and Petroz aimed at Ender but missed their shots.

With Ender remaining for his team, I rolled Will to Fight and Passed 0d6. Ender fled.

"This isn't over, witch!" With those words echoing from the shadows, Ender took of into the night. 

"We should hunt him," said Ryal.

"We've got more important tasks," Drastica responded, "such as tending to our wounded."

 Next came the rolls on the Recovery table for Timble and Grumble. Grumble recovered, Timble didn't.

Finally, there was the roll on the Loot and Destroy table. However, I treated as recovering the town's Loot instead. I passed 2d6 and had Drastica returning the gold to the town, who rewarded the heroes with Increasing d6.

With the adventure over, I rolled to see if anyone improved. Only Drastica, Ryal, and Petroz gained Increasing d6 (Grumble's Decreasing d6 from going OOF cancelled any from completing the encounter).

However, only Petroz improved, up to Rep 5.

A successful Encounter, with a definite Raid in the future as the group continues to hunt for the vile Sir Ender.


1 comment: